Friday, April 27, 2012

Higher Education In America: Special Series

Over the next few weeks, I will be producing a series of blog posts about the state of the higher education system in United States. Prompted by my soon to be graduation (fall 2012) and a sign on the campus of the University of Oregon that stated "College Debt Reaches 1,000,000,000,000" (yes, that is 1 trillion), I have decided to look into just what is the student debt in America, what does it mean for our future, and what will need to happen to make these issues less of a burden in the future.

I will also be researching and writing about financial aid, how education pays off, and the pricing / cost of attending college. In addition, I will be looking at and blogging about a study I received from a mentoring economics professor here at the U of O about the costs of skipping classes.

I personally have invested interest in this topic being a current student, even without college debt (thanks to my parents), but I think it's really an issue that has many more affects than just for students and their families. Affects are present in our federal and state budgets, personal wealth, overal competitiveness as a 21st century nation among many others.


Stay tuned for more posts and if you have any thoughts or comments about the subject, or a personal anecdote about your college experience, please drop a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment